Monday, September 19, 2011

Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like School...

I found this article to be very interesting because many of the discussions that take place in a majority of my early education courses focus on how crucial early intervention is. To be honest, I have never really looked at it in the opposite sense like this article does. A lot of our recent discussions have hit on the importance of creativity throughout the learning process. I definitely think this is an important part of education and I was very surprised to see the results yielded by the studies done in this article. I think it relates very closely to both the learning models we have discussed. Rather than following a step by step process of what to do first, next, last, etc. I think students can benefit more by exploring on their own to develop an understanding of a concept. Using their creativity to think about how something works, for example, can lead them to a much deeper level of understanding if they are able to figure this concept out themselves rather than being guided to a specific answer. I also think this helps bring in NOS because as we have discussed in class, we can't always guarantee something is right, but we can know if something is wrong. Therefore, it can challenge students to use their creativity to come up with something different than the teacher or their peers which they most likely would not have done had they been explicity directed by their teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment