Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Social Learning Theory

     Compared to Developmental Learning Theory, I think I have a much better understanding of Social Learning Theory from the start. In my opinion this is because I feel that the learning theory as a whole is more concrete, so I am able to grasp the concept a lot easier. I feel that DLT is so abstract as it is that it makes it hard for me to explain ways in which DLT is used in my blog posts.
     I feel that I have been exposed more to SLT throughout my education, therefore it is easier for me to grasp. I also feel that the title helps me remember the theory very easily, although i'm sure some people think the same about DLT. I find that in most cases, learning through discussions has been very beneficial for me. I think this helps me better understand concepts and I also like have the opportunity to look to my "more knowledgable peer" if need be.
     I think it is easy to see that DLT and SLT have a relationship. In my opinion, DLT presents the concrete/abstract examples, but SLT could be used to bridge the gap. I also feel that they are interrelated because you could start with DLT and move to SLT or vice versa. Either way they both make learning easier for all types of students.

3 comments:

  1. What about social theory is more concrete in your opinion? In what ways was SLT exposed to you? I'm curious about what kind of examples you would use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that SLT is easier to grasp. Last semester I learned about Vygotsky and his social theory and I kind of relate the two. He thought that others learned best when they learned from their peers. I also agree that SLT bridges the gap between the concrete and abstract examples in DLT. If you are not getting it and someone else is then it only makes sense to turn to the more knowledgeable peer. The relationship between the two is pretty clear to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should have said for me it's more concrete, not neccessarily for people in general. I feel that I have had alot more past experiences with group discussions or even learning through group projects by having a partner that was more knowledgable. The bridged gap could be from allowing yourself to ask question or acquire more confirmation more the information you receive from your more knowledgable peer.

    ReplyDelete