Sunday, September 19, 2010

Technology in the Classroom

     I am not certain what grade I want to teach exactly, but I am thinking either kindergarden or first grade, so it is hard for me to see how my students would benefit from the use of technology. However, if I was teaching older students, a technology that I would most definitely integrate into my classroom would be a website used for blogging. I have never really used blogging prior to my 107/109 classes here at Drake, but I already find it very beneficial.
     If I used it in my classroom, I think I would use it daily and I would set aside a period of time for my students to blog in class. This would be most appropriate during a "free time" set aside for studying, reading, etc. I would do this because not all my students may have access to a computer outside of class. In case my students had a hard time thinking of something to blog about, I would give them options of questions to choose from all which relate to concepts we've recently been discussing in class . This way students could interact with each other by using the blogs to ask questions for example. On a specific day, perhaps Friday, I would allow students to blog about whatever they want to blog about. This would serve as a chance for students to write about themselves, something their interested in, etc. This way students could have a chance to use blogging for something that they enjoy.
     The benefits of blogging in the classroom allow for continued learning if a student is able to access a computer from outside the classroom. It also give students an opportunity to read the ideas of other students and ask questions to better understand specific concepts. Issues that could arise from blogging include inappropriate topics/language, lack of interest, or lack of participation if other students don't comment on their classmates blogs. However, I think if all these things are closely monitored, blogs can be a very beneficial way of giving all students a chance to participate in classroom discussions.

4 comments:

  1. I really like that you have thought about the challenges that technology can bring to a classroom and that you have made blogging an in class assignment. It reminds me of Writer's Workshop from elementary school. Having your students blog would allow them to be writing on a daily basis. You could also allow your students to free write with a few requirements such as using new vocabulary or writing concepts that you may have been teaching. Blogging is a tool that can be used for many grade levels because you can simply adjust the amount and complexity of your requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have some really great ideas going for you! I completely agree with the fact that it will be very difficult as an Elementary Education Teacher to encorporate technology (at least computers) into the classroom. I say this because it is already hard enough to get them to share computers, let alone sit there and do something educational besides the "ordinary" educational computer games. These are nice, but I see now that there is so much more out there that the internet has to offer to our students. Your blog was very well thought out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you considered our class discussions on the home life some students have, and you applied that by making blogging an in-class excercise to accomodate those student.

    I have to question one thing you said, however, because I think that all too often people underestimate the learning capacity of young children, specifically k-2. They might be too young to blog, but that certainly doesn't mean technology should ruled out completely.

    From personal experience, any kind of electronic or video display will have most students captivated, including those youngest grades. Short films, youtube videos, and other visual electronic representations would be a great concrete way to present material that young students will pay attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Joe. I didn't want to make it seem like no technology could be beneficially used in the classroom, I just simply meant it would be more of a challenge to ensure that younger children were actually learning from technology.

    ReplyDelete