Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Spelling Lesson

    My group chose to do a spelling lesson because we thought that misspelling words could possibly still be a problem for some of our peers. I think we were right in assuming this because it is true that a lot of people rely on technology these days to help with their spelling errors. I thought that some of the examples we showed did a good job of confirming these spelling issues.
    I think most of our peers were actively mentally engaged, however I kind of feel like no one really wanted to participate. So, next time I would probably come up with something a little more exciting. Also, I feel we didn't pose good questions because half the time we didn't get any kind of a response from our peers. We also thought our peers would have more explanations as to why words were spelled right, using rules or etc, but that didn't go as planned. I feel as if the only thing we taught was identifying correctly spelled words.
     It is difficult to make spelling words concrete, but rather than discussing them, we had our peers write them in order to make them a little more concrete. We used SLT by allowing each group to discuss their words and also allowing feedback on which word was correctly spelled and why. Lastly, we tried to reconstruct our peers schemas by correctly spelling/identify challenging words.

No comments:

Post a Comment